Version 4 is LIVE!

Ronnie

• Administrators

Well, it went live a lot quicker than I thought it would, but version 4 of the app is now live on both the iOS App Store and Google Play Store! I thought it might take a few days to a week to go live, but they hit the shelves in less than a day! Great stuff! So, what's all new with version 4?

The biggest change with version 4 is the rewrite of the navigation bar at the bottom. It was a home-brewed table build to function as a navigation menu to remove the pesky white bar at the bottom of the iPhone 12 (perhaps other iPhones too). However, the ultimate sacrifice for appearance was performance. That did not sit well with me, so I completely revamped the navigation bar to use the native bar and just accept that I am going to have some literal white space at the bottom of the app...for now.

I also added the option to keep your screen awake. This is PERFECT for those of us chasing the lights and not wanting to keep unlocking our phones. The main page refreshes every minute too, so you can literally keep it running and just monitor for updates!

Another change is the addition of the gallery. Who doesn't LOVE aurora photos?! I would like to feature some of the photos taken by app users, so there are directions on the Gallery tab on how to get your photos into me. It doesn't matter when it was taken, as long as it was by you. Just send them in and I'll take care of the rest!

The favorable conditions alert is finally functional, if even in a self-imposed beta status right now. I am not sure if it is going to work 100% but, hey, you have to start somewhere, right?! That said, give me feedback so I can fix it!

Speaking of feedback...you can now directly message from Facebook Messenger, even without an account! So, if you are having issues and need some help or find a bug, give a shout! It goes to the page's Messenger account and will alert me that I have messages. Too easy!

I also spent a lot of time during the summer months concocting a formula for activity and when it will be most favorable. It is now implemented and, again, will be tested out throughout this next season and tweaked continually if needed. The previous method worked great for the area around 61N latitude, but it did not appear to perform well on a much wider, global scale. This knew one appears to be running good, so we'll see how it does. I need feedback to help tweak it so, please, get out there and use the app...more outside of the U.S. please!

That's it for now with this update. Again, if you see any bugs or experience any issues, reach out to me. I will get them fixed as soon as I can!