Well, we were able to get a little sunshine today as a weak ridge of high pressure moved through the area. Unfortunately, the next weather system is hot on its heels and will bring clouds and rain back to Alaska through this week. Indications are right now that we may see some improvement in conditions Thursday evening and into Friday (Sep 10th), which may give us a shot to see some light activity over the weekend. If you're like me, you're ready for these clouds and all of the rain to move out
For those of us in Alaska, this holiday weekend has been a bummer of sorts...at least, for those of us itching for the chance to see Lady Aurora. The clouds and rain will continue to stick around through the weekend with conditions beginning to improve around mid-day on Monday (Sep 6). Solar activity is projected to pick up a little bit around then too, with a stream of solar material projected to begin heading our way. There may be a chance to see some activity in the early morning hours of Tue
I don't know how many of you are like me: ready for the night! Here in the Anchorage area, we are starting to get longer nights, albeit slowly, but it is happening! The past couple of weeks have had us socked in with clouds and rain, so tonight is potentially going to be a long one. We have a couple of chances this week for good auroral activity!
Image Source: SWPC
The above image is from the Space Weather Prediction Center's WSA-Enlil model depiction. As you can see, midnight Alask
The offseason brought along some much-needed rest and relaxation. It also brought the need to make some changes to the app and make it...better! While the design is much the same as the previous three versions, the navigation tab needed an overhaul. The screen transitions with the old tab were clunky and caused speed issues while using the app. You should notice much more responsiveness when changing screens now!
The move to the latest version also brought about a change in how the app prov
We may...MAY...have another good shot at some good aurora activity coming up on April 16th. The weather for the week looks to be pretty bleak, but Friday's forecast is looking like partly cloudy skies with some potential clearing late. The problem is the lack of darkness. We will enter nautical twilight around 11:30 p.m. and come out of night at around 2:40 a.m. with the sun starting to move into sunrise. My experience this weekend was that activity was hard to see after about 3-4 a.m. due to th
We got a very nice treat on February 13, 2021, when Lady Aurora showed up! The Kp forecast for the day was 2, so there was no reason to believe we would really have a good show. I was working on creating a block for solar wind data here on the website and, while doing so, noticed that the numbers appeared to be trending positive for potential aurora activity. As I sat watching the values continue to improve, Bz going very negative; Bt climbing to above 10; density reaching 22; and the wind speed
Tonight and tomorrow (February 6-7, 2021), the Kp forecast is 4. This is based on the Earth-facing coronal hole which developed on the sun. They anticipate solar wind speeds to pick up and a stream of material to impact the near Earth environment. Right now, the speeds are average (in the 372 km/s range) and density is average as well (around 5 p/cm3). So, we'll keep an eye on those values throughout the day tomorrow to determine if tomorrow night looks like a good night to chase. The cloud fore
I added a GoPro Hero 9 Black to my arsenal yesterday. I took it out for a test drive last night to check out the video quality at night. I am hoping I have the settings tuned enough to where it's not just a black screen, but we'll see. Thus, I will be chasing with my iPhone 12, iPad mini, all-sky camera, and the GoPro. It is definitely a fun hobby but oh so tiring at the same time!
There was an alert from SpaceWeatherLive.com tonight regarding a coronal hole. Apparently, there is an Earth-facing hole projected to increase the solar wind speed and particles headed our way. That said, they are forecasting a Kp value of 4 for February 7th. This means that between the night of the 6th and into the morning of the 7th, we could have some very good activity! We may continue to see some good displays up north and I am really hoping that the lights will be visible then. Depends on
Well, you can't say we didn't try! We went out to Hatcher Pass last night, about an hour and 15 minutes north of our house, and sat there from 10:00pm until roughly 1:30am this morning. We were very hopeful we would see some activity. The space weather sites were talking about geomagnetic storming, forecasts were showing Kp index values forecast to hit 4 and 5, and Mother Nature gave us a rare, cloud-free night. It seemed like a perfect combination of variables for a great night of watching the